Patrick Lencioni, author and consultant
Beckett Frith, September 18, 2017
Patrick Lencioni is an is an American author and expert on business management.
He is the founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to providing ideas, services and products to organisations in order to improve teamwork, clarity and employee engagement.
He is best known as the author of The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, a popular business story that explores work team dynamics and offers solutions to help teams perform better. According to the book, the five dysfunctions are:
- Absence of trust—unwilling to be vulnerable within the group
- Fear of conflict—seeking artificial harmony over constructive passionate debate
- Lack of commitment—feigning buy-in for group decisions creates ambiguity throughout the organisation
- Avoidance of accountability—ducking the responsibility to call peers on counterproductive behaviour which sets low standards
- Inattention to results—focusing on personal success, status and ego before team success
The book's lessons have been applied by several coaches to their teams in the US.
Lencioni was named in Fortune as one of the ‘ten new gurus you should know,’ and his work has been featured in USA TODAY, Bloomberg Businessweek, and Harvard Business Review. Previously he has worked as a corporate executive for Sybase, Oracle and Bain & Company. Today, he lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with his wife and four children.