Elisabeth Kelan, professor of leadership, director of the global centre for gender and leadership, Cranfield School of Management
Sian Harrington, September 18, 2016
Prior to joining Cranfield University, Kelan worked at King's College London, London Business School, the London School of Economics and Political Science and Zurich University. She holds a PhD from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
Kelan's research focuses on gender and leadership, generations in organizations, leadership and diversity and inclusion. She has published two books (Rising Stars - Developing Millennial Women as Leaders and Performing Gender, both with Palgrave) and numerous peer-reviewed articles in academic journals and practitioner reports. She is an associate editor of the journal Gender, Work and Organization and is on the editorial board of the British Journal of Management.
Kelan is the series editor for Routledge Studies in Gender and Organizations . She was a British Academy Mid-Career Fellow (academic year 2014/15) and her research project explored gender inclusive leadership practices. She is currently involved in an ESRC funded seminar series on Gendered Inclusion (2015-2018).
Her research has been recognized through various academic and practitioner awards. She is also regularly providing thought-leadership to businesses and international organisations. She sits on the advisory boards of the Women's Empowerment Principles, a partnership initiative of UN Women and the UN Global Compact, as well as the National Society of High School Scholars Foundation.
- Kelan E & Humbert A (2016) 31/7/16 Editorial: Gender in Management Research, British Journal of Management.
- Gill R, Kelan EK & Scharff CM A Postfeminist Sensibility at Work, Gender, Work and Organization.
- Adamson M, Kelan EK, Lewis, P, Rumens, N, Śliwa & M (2016) The Quality of Equality: Thinking Differently about Gender Inclusion in Organizations, Human Resource Management International Digest.
- Humbert AL & Kelan EK (2016) Gender in Management Research, British Journal of Management.
- Kelan E (2015) 4/1/2016 - Why male middle managers are the key to equality in the workplace, Management focus, Autumn\Winter (39) 10-11.
- Nentwich JC & Kelan EK (2014) Towards a Topology of 'Doing Gender': An Analysis of Empirical Research and Its Challenges, Gender, Work and Organization, 21 (2) 121-134.
- Kelan EK (2014) Organising Generations - What Can Sociology Offer to the Understanding of Generations at Work?, Sociology Compass, 8 (1) 20-30.
- Kelan EK & Mah A (2014) Gendered identification: Between idealization and admiration, British Journal of Management, 25 (1) 91-101.
- Kelan EK (2014) From Biological Clocks to Unspeakable Inequalities: The Intersectional Positioning of Young Professionals, British Journal of Management, 25 (4) 790-804.
- Kelan E (2014) Faculty Focus: Elisabeth Kelan, Management Focus (37) 26-26.
- Wang M & Kelan EK (2013) The Gender Quota and Female Leadership: Effects of the Norwegian Gender Quota on Board Chairs and CEOs, Journal of Business Ethics, 117 (3) 449-466.
- Kelan EK (2013) The Becoming of Business Bodies: Gender, Appearance, and Leadership Development, Management Learning, 44 (1) 45-61.
- Kelan EK (2011) Moving Bodies and Minds - The Quest for Embodiment in Teaching and Learning, Higher Education Research Network Journal, 3 39-46.
- Kelan EK & Dunkley Jones R (2010) Gender and the MBA, Academy of Management Learning and Education, 9 (1) 26-43.
- Kelan EK (2010) Gender logic and (Un)doing gender at work, Gender, Work and Organization, 17 (2) 174-194.
- Kelan EK (2009) Gender fatigue: The ideological dilemma of gender neutrality and discrimination in organizations, Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences / Revue Canadienne des Sciences de l'Administration, 26 (3) 197-210.
- Kelan EK & Dunkley Jones R (2009) Reinventing the MBA as a rite of passage for a boundaryless era, Career Development International, 14 (6) 547-569.
- Kelan EK (2008) Gender, risk and employment insecurity: The masculine breadwinner subtext, Human Relations, 61 (9) 1171-1202.
- Kelan EK (2008) The discursive construction of gender in contemporary management literature, Journal of Business Ethics, 81 (2) 427-445.
- Kelan EK (2008) Emotions in a rational profession: The gendering of skills in ICT work, Gender, Work and Organization, 15 (1) 49-71.
- Kelan EK (2007) Tools and Toys: Communicating Gendered Positions Towards Technology, Information, Communication and Society, 10 (3) 357-382.
- Kelan EK (2007) 'I don't know why' - Accounting for the scarcity of women in ICT work, Women's Studies International Forum, 30 (6) 499-511.